These 1910 apartment buildings, sited within a new historic district, were abandoned and severely deteriorating. A respectful restoration and modernization yields a 28-unit market rate condominium selling for premium rates in a soft market. The buildings are connected via a glass-enclosed bridge inserted into a narrow, cluttered courtyard, which provides access to fire stairs and a new elevator. Three new units are added to the basement level and eight new parking spaces are reclaimed from utility space and are accessible from a public alley. Other key components of the modernization include masonry stabilization and repair, modern unit configurations, new HVAC systems, and balconies replacing porches and fire escapes.