In 1925, five arts and crafts bungalows were built for young army officers and their families, who were associated with war games and munitions experiments in the Spring Valley / American University neighborhood in Washington, D.C. This project was the last of the storied bungalows to be modernized and updated. The condition of the home was poor; the aluminum siding was falling off the house, the porch was rotting, critical basement beams had termite damage, and the roof was leaking and structurally failing. As part of the renovation, the original siding was uncovered and restored. Upper portions of the building were clad in cement board lap siding and the main roof was clad in cedar shingles. Foam insulation and new insulated windows provide a tight building envelope. The paint scheme uses traditional arts and crafts colors, with bright, modern accent colors for the doors and fixtures.