1728 Fourteenth Street, NW is a contemporary mixed-use commercial building fitting comfortably into a varied historic context rich in architectural styles and changing land-use patterns. An infill building on a fast redeveloping commercial street within the Greater Fourteenth Street Historic District, the project integrates two levels of commercial office above two integrated levels of street front retail in a design that pays homage to the area’s rich commercial past. The project design is formally composed around a central three-story display window. Humane, craft-derived masonry detailing in rich colors and textures organizes the building façade. Vertical steel columns mark the site’s 3 former structures and support the horizontal louvers and a glazed retail canopy.