The Kanawha is a completely restored contributing historic apartment building located within the Georgetown Historic District. It was one of the earliest purpose-built apartment buildings in Georgetown, originally built in 1901. As part of the renovation/restoration, The Kanawha was stripped to its original masonry walls and wood floor joists. The ground floor was excavated to increase the floor to ceiling height and extend the floor area into the rear yard. A new rear addition was inserted on the rear façade in place of the existing full width cast iron balcony, while the front, with expressive masonry arches and herringbone brick patterns, was restored and old iron fire escapes were removed, as allowed by the current fire codes, to restore the Dumbarton street façade.