Bonstra | Haresign ARCHITECTS has restored and added to the historic Tilden Hall, a 1924 Colonial Revival-style apartment building situated on the corner of Connecticut Avenue, NW and Tilden Street, NW. The project added 25 new units in a contemporary addition while restoring and modernizing the main lobby, corridors, and 76 apartments in the existing building for a total of 101 apartments.
TILDEN HALL APARTMENTS | Washington, DC
The existing 5-story + basement apartment building is located adjacent to Cleveland Park, in the Forest Hills neighborhood of Washington, DC. The 5-story addition was constructed at the rear of the building, connecting to the existing building at the end of each wing and forming a central courtyard. A continuous corridor provides circulation throughout each level. Existing units have been updated with new interior finishes, fixtures, and appliances.
The building’s brick masonry exterior was restored, and the original windows and entry doors replaced with new wood sashes to match the historic profiles. The exterior walls of the addition were constructed using steel stud framing with exterior fiber cement panels, with massing and alignments set to complement the existing building’s architecture. At the roof level, an extensive green roof system was installed surrounding a rooftop terrace on the addition for residents to enjoy views to downtown Washington, DC.
Congratulations to our client, Urban Investment Partners, our talented team of architects and consultants, and the general contractor, UIP, GC.
Photos: Anice Hoachlander, Hoachlander Davis Photography